Wilmington Neighborhood Council

9-24-03 Meeting Minutes

Wilmington Senior Citizen Center, Wilmington, Ca

 

6:10 P.M. Meeting called to order by Toni O’Donnell.

Patrick Wilson led pledge of allegiance.

Toni O. introduced self and gave brief statement: “As provided by the Brown Act, person in the audience may address the committee in connection with any agenda item or during the public comments period.  Anyone desiring to speak please complete a speaker card and submit it to the secretary.”  Announced translation to Spanish available.

 

1-Roll call of members, 17 present, quorum

 

2-LAPD/SLO report: Officer Danny Shry gave report, safety issue, motor homes

 

3- Unfinished business: Mayor’s Budget Process

A-Toni O gave out survey results and reviewed the process. Discussion of surveys, comments by WNC board, public comments, Mark Lewis from DONE commented.  Toni O and Eddie G will attend region 7 service area to prioritize budget for this area and choose rep for this area.  WNC needs to choose top 5 items.  MSA Eddie G/Lenna M to make additional police for harbor area one of the priorities, discussion, vote, 15 yes, 2 no, passed

B- Affirmation of 5 Neighborhood Council Budget Requests to be sent to DONE:  Priorities to be forwarded: 1-Street and sidewalk repair, 2-Street cleaning, 3-Tree trimming, 4-Environmentar, air & water, 5-Add’t police for Harbor Area

 

4-Public Comments on Non Agenda Items: Frank O’Brien, Greenbelt Park update, Rudy Torres, Javier Ortiz-LAUSD volunteer, Mr. Compton asking for Dennis McCarbery to be appointed parliamentarian for board, referred to executive committee for recommendation

 

5-Minutes from Aug 03 read and accepted.

 

6-Report of officers

Chair:  Toni O’ reported that she and Donna E attended Com. Dev. Dept mtg.

Co-Chair: Jack Babbitt gave out report on committee assignments for WNC members.

 

Secretary- Lucia Moreno -Correspondence-2 items, from Council office & Planning Commission

 

Treasurer- Patrick W gave Aug finance report

 

7-Communications/Elected Officials

Cristie Navarro form Dept. Animal Services on Harbor Shelter

Chad Molnar from Rep Jane Harman

Mark Lewis from Done

Lou B rep ACTA

 

8-Presentation: Dept Sanitation, Ray Kearney, Asst. director

Presentation on Renewable Energy Proposed Project, discussion, Q&A

 

Break

 

9-Report of Standing Committees:

PCAC: Donna Ethington gave report.  3 items for action by WNC board.

Item 1 request from Maricela Caraballo that motion be tabled-request more info. And presentation from Trapac, 10y, 7n, 1a, tabled

Item 2 Motion : That WNC supports the motion of the WWD to the PCAC that PCAC recommend to the Board of Harbor Commissioners that it supports the WWD Subcommittee’s opposition to the relocation, expansion or creation of any terminal operation on the Wilmington Waterfront that would increase noise, truck and rail traffic, pollution, blight or any negative environmental impacts in the Wilmington Community, Motion by Maricela C to table motion, friendly amendment by Eddie G to add health issues to motion, withdrawn, discussion, public comments, Ken Melendez, Raul Orozco, Call for Question, vote, 15 yes, 1 no, 1 abs, Passed.

 

 Land Use: Skip B gave report

 

Finance: Pat W gave report and 2 action items

1-Motion to request funding in the amount of $1900 for DSL service to provide Internet access to computer in the WNC office for one year, discussion, vote, unanimous

2-Motion to request funding in the amount of $5000 to help pay for lighting of downtown Wilmington holiday street lights, discussion, vote, unanimous

 

Transportation: Donna E ported

 

Public Works: Toni O reported on Towne Square Park Task force, Jack B gave report on prior mtg, public comment

 

Gateway Beautification: Jack B reported and presented motion: To allow any Wilmington stakeholder who attends two consecutive Gateway Beautification Subcommittee (GBSC) meetings the right to vote and or make motions at the third GB Subcommittee meeting or meeting after that which they may attend.  Attendance shall be determined by the GBSubc sign in sheet.  In order to establish a quorum at a GBSC meeting there must be 51% WNC GBSC members in attendance, discussion, vote, unanimous

 

10-Stakeholder committees:

Publicity- Eddie

Labor-Eddie reports

Seniors-Gary K reports

 

11-New Business

Meeting Dates will be discussed next month for Nov & Dec

 

Public Comments

Announcements

Mtg closed 9:08 p.m.

Minutes taken, prepared by Lucia Moreno-Linares, Council Secretary

_________________________________

Approved by Toni O’Donnell, Chair