WILMINGTON NEIGHBORHOOD COUNCIL

 

August 22, 2007 Meeting Minutes

 

 

 

The meeting of the Wilmington Neighborhood Council (WNC) was called to order by Chair Jack Babbitt at 6:08 PM at the Wilmington Senior Center, 1371 Eubank Ave., Wilmington. Jack introduced self and gave brief statement: “As provided by the Brown Act, person in the audience may address the committee in connection with any agenda item or during the public comments period.  Anyone desiring to speak please complete a speaker card and submit it to the secretary.”  Secretary Lucia M explained that translation to Spanish available. Jack reminded those present in audience that committee signup forms were open to any stakeholder.

 

1.         Pledge of Allegiance led by Patrick Wilson

Roll Call of Governing Board Members confirming a quorum. (Present: Jack Babbitt, Dennis McCarbery, Skip Baldwin, Socorro Fimbres, Adelaida Godinez, Donna Ethington, Arthur Hernandez, Gary Kern, Ana Medina, Lucy Mejia, Helen Mora, Cecilia Moreno, Lucia Moreno-Linares, Hank Osterhaoudt, Patrick Wilson) (Excused: Marcus Perez, Marisela Caraballo) 15 Present, Quorum.

 

2.         Los Angeles Police Department- Officers Ron Johnson, SLO, gave report and introduced City Attorney Ruben _________ who gave report on gang enforcement/suppression efforts in Wilmington.  He also asked for support or Public Safety & Health fair to be held on 9-16 from 10 to 3 AM. He would like $700 to help with costs.  Port Police gave report on commercial truck traffic enforcement. Q&A

 

3.         Public Comment

A. – Raymond Yu gave various announcements

B-Ken Melendez gave BID quarterly report and passed out report to WNC

C-Jesus Gamboa –written remarks

D- Brissa Sotelo from Tesoro gave brief report

E-Andrew Purcell, resident, on homeless problem near his home

F-Don Compton

 

4.         Jacob Haik from Council District 15fth gave report, Q&A

 

5.         ACTA – Dan Davis & Connie Rivera gave report. Q&A

 

6.     Approval of July minutes MSA Gary K/Dennis M, 13 Yes, 0 Abstain, 0 No, passed, with correction, should be PCAC, not PAC on #3.

 

7.     Presentations: Dr. Matthew R. P. Lombard, MD from Wilmington Family Health Center gave presentation, Q&A

           

8.     Action Items

a.      COPSS – Request for funding for a Preparedness Fair.  Matter tabled until a new date is selected.

b.     Letter to LAPD Captain Hayes / Graffiti.  The prepared letter was reviewed and MSA Dennis M/Skip B to approve and send.  Unanimous.

c.      AYSO Region 864 – Request for funding.  MSA Dennis M/Helen M to approve. 9-0-4

d.     Jerry Iriarte request for uniform funding.  MSA Ana M/Skip B to approve.   12-0-1

e.      Public Works Committee – Request for WNC Bumper Stickers.  MSA Gary K/Art H to approve.  12-1-0

 

 

f.      Medical Clinic request.  Matter referred to the Executive Committee.

g.     Kuhr Properties – The WNC Executive Board recommends to the WNC Governing Board that a letter be written to the agencies listed in Council Motion 07-2212 and the 15th Council District urging that the proposed amendment to the Wilmington/Harbor City Community Plan and concurrent Zone and Height regulations change be denied.  MSA Dennis M/Skip B to approve.  Unanimous.

 

9.     Information Items

a.      Bi-monthly Community Cleanups – are being scheduled.

b.     Refreshment schedule for 2007-08 meetings.  Tonight’s by member-at-large Skip.  Next month (September) will be by Art H.

c.      W/HC Community Plan – Concern expressed regarding possible changes.

d.     Wilmington B.I.D. – Holiday Lights – WNC expects recognition for its financial support for the program in appropriate formats.

e.      Resolution regarding notification from COLA Planning/Zoning Administration Departments – Issue referred to Executive Committee for consideration in September.

f.      WNC Meeting Schedule in November and December.  The November Executive Board meeting will be on November 7 and the WNC on November 14.  In December, the EB will meet December 5 and the WNC on December 12 (the sixth anniversary of the formation of the first NC in the City of Los Angeles).

g.     Council Motion – NCTV.  Received notification.

 

10.  Report from D.O.N.E. -  Rosa Arcadia reported on two free upcoming events – the October 13 Mayor’s Budget Day from 8 am to 1 pm at L.A. City Hall Council Chamber, and the October 27 NC Congress at the L.A. Convention Center from 8 am to 1 pm.

 

11.  COPPS Report – Pat Rome reported that a very good Pets Emergency Preparedness brochure is available, and the group is working on a map of locations for clinics, doctors, LAPD and LAFD.          

 

12.  Reports of Officers

 

a.      Chair – Requested committee sign-ups by Council and stakeholders.

b.     Co-chair – no report.

c.      Secretary – no report.

d.       Treasurer – Patrick W. reported that all payments have been made and the street furniture purchase order has been received by the vendor.

 

13.  Reports by Standing Committees

 

a.      By-Laws Committee – Dennis M. reported that proposed bylaws amendments and policy statements will be considered at the next meeting.

b.     Executive Board – meeting will be the second Wednesday of September at noon at the Wilmington Municipal Building at the WNC office.

c.      Finance Committee – meeting is immediately following the Executive Board on the second Wednesday.

d.     Gateway & Beautification Committee – meets the first Tuesday monthly at noon at the WMB WNC office.

e.      Land Use & Planning Committee – Skip B said the group meets sporadically on the second Wednesday monthly.

f.      Public Works Committee – Meets on the second Wednesday monthly.

g.     Publicity and Communications Committee – Helen M reported the committee met last month.

 

 

 

h.     Transportation Committee – Donna E passed out two sheets for the Council to review and then comment upon.

 

 

 

i.       PCAC Representatives Report – Donna E. reported on the “Inland Ports” presentation at the meeting.  A complex issue.  Dennis M said the WNC’s new representatives were not allowed to be seated, even though approved by the Harbor Commission, because there is a “10 day waiting period.”

 

14.  Unfinished Business – None.

 

15.  New Business

 

a.      Banning Park Walkways – Gary K reported the walkways within the park are in very poor repair, and that the WNC should request a report from the appropriate officials.

b.     Lake Environment – Art H. expressed concern for the environmental quality for Machado and Vanmullen’s Lake, and that it was once connected directly to the east to the port.

c.       Labor Day Parade – Socoro F reported on the upcoming Labor Day parade and the need for refreshments

 

16.  Reports from Caucus Groups

a.       Wilmington Boat-owners Issue – Donna E reported on the emergency training and disaster equipment, and the California Clean Marine program certification.

 

17.  Reports from Members-at-Large

a.      School supplies – Skip B reported on is attendance at the 1st Christian Church school supply program, and that Jack B delivered the WNC-approved supplies.

 

18.  Announcement Board Members – None

 

19.  Adjourn – Jack B. adjourned the meeting as no further business was before the body.

 

Minutes taken by Lucia Moreno-Linares, Secretary and Dennis McCarbery, Parliamentarian

 

Approved, Jack Babbitt,  Chair

 

 

 

 

 

wnc-minutes-8-22-07