WILMINGTON NEIGHBORHOOD COUNCIL

 

June 27, 2007 Meeting Minutes

 

 

 

The meeting of the Wilmington Neighborhood Council (WNC) was called to order by Chair Jack Babbitt at 6:08 PM at the Wilmington Senior Center, 1371 Eubank Ave., Wilmington. Jack introduced self and gave brief statement: “As provided by the Brown Act, person in the audience may address the committee in connection with any agenda item or during the public comments period.  Anyone desiring to speak please complete a speaker card and submit it to the secretary.”  Translation to Spanish available.

 

1.                

Pledge of Allegiance led by Patrick Wilson

Roll Call of Governing Board Members confirming a quorum. 14 present. Quorum.

Approval of March minutes MSA Gary K/Donna E, 13 Yes, 2 Abstain, 0 No, Passed

 

2.               Public Comment

Los Angeles Police Department- Officers Zurick & Anna Pinell gave report,   Q&A

Public comment for non agenda items from

A. – Jerry Iriarte on request for funding for park youth

B- Mary Gant on Sampson Oil wells

C- Berlshaj Kdang Rok’o

D-ACTA – Dan Davis gave report. Q&A

 

3.               Presentations: None

 

4.               Action Items

a.      YMCA Request for software funding:  The WNC Executive Board recommends to the WNC Governing Board that the WNC fund the YMCA Wilmington Center Item for $487.09 for computer software for their after school home work center. MSA Maricela, Gary, Discussion, Vote, 13 Yes, 3 Abstain (Lucia, Cecilia, Socorro) Passed.  Board members requested that YMCA recognize WNC for this donation. .

b.     Motion to request moratorium on additional housing construction/planning to COLA Planning Department:   Motion tabled to next month, when Dennis will bring a revised motion

c.      Wilmington Community Plan:  The WNC Executive Board recommends to the WNC Governing Board that a letter be sent to Mayor Villaraigosa and Director of Planning Gail Goldberg requesting the community plan be opened for review and comments and request a response in 30 days.  MSA Lucia M-L/Lucy M, Discussion, public comments from Joan Wysocki, others, Vote, 14 Yes, 2 Abstain, (Socorro, Mike) Passed.

d.     Traffic Committee Letters:  MSA Cecilia/Lucia for WNC to send letter as presented by Traffic Committee on Quiet Zone on Mcfarland Rail Line, discussion, Vote, 16 Yes, 0 Abstain, 0 No, Passed.

e.      Traffic Committee Letters Cont;  MSA Lucia/Gary for WNC to send letter as presented by Traffic Committee on BNSF tank storage, discussion, Motion tabled until next month to give BNS time to come to July meeting to present information on subject ,

f.      Fiesta Corazon del Puerto Support: MSA Socorro/Art for WNC to fund Fiesta Corazon by $5000, discussion, vote, 9 Yes, 4 No, 3 Abstain, Passed. WNC will have booth, Donna E will staff one day, volunteers contact her for other days or hours to help out.

 

 

5.               Information Items

a.      Refreshments: Labor for July Lucy for Residents.

b.     Bi Monthly Community Clean Ups: July is Labor groups, Socorro residents.

c.      WNC Election results: Maricela, Elections Chair, gave results of the elections. Welcomed new members, Adelina Godinez, and gave our information packets.  Thanked retiring members, Tony Ringor, Nell Osterhout, and Don Compton. Jack thanked everyone who helped with the elections. Almost 100 people came to vote.

d.     Chine Mitigation update: Gary gave report, 17 proposals turned in, 3 removed, and 14 being considered at 6-28-07 meeting.

e.      Wilmington Family Picnic:  Donna gave report and presented survey form for WNC to use at public meetings or forums. Form will be revised and translated.

 

6.               COPPS Report: Pat Rome gave report on 6-26 meeting, and announced preparedness fair in Sept.

7.               Report from DONE:  Rosa Arcadia from DONE gave report and announced meeting with general manager from DONE.

 

Break

 

8.               Report of Officers: Jack congratulated new board.

Vice: no report

Secretary- Lucia went over correspondence

Treasurer-Pat gave verbal report.   

9.               Reports by Standing Committees

a.      By Laws: none

b.     Finance: none

c.      Gateway: Jack announced next meeting.

d.     Planning and Use: Skip & Lucy gave report

e.      Public Works Committee: Jack announced next meeting.

f.       Transportation Committee: Donna gave report.

g.     Publicity and Communications Committee – Lucia gave report.

h.     PCAC Committee: Donna gave report  

10.            Unfinished and New Business-

            a-Request from Tesoro for representative from WNC to serve on CAP Community Advisory Panel, Jack asked for volunteers, Bobby

                  McNeill will serve as WNC rep.

            b- Request from Labor, Socorro, for funding of banner during Labor Day parade. Item will be added to agenda for July meeting.

11.            Reports from Members at Large

12.            Reports from Caucus groups

13.            Announcement from Governing Board Members.

14.            Adjournment – chair adjourned the meeting at 8:50 PM.

15.            Minutes taken by Lucia Moreno-Linares, Secretary 14 present

16.            Approved, Jack Babbitt,  Chair