WILMINGTON NEIGHBORHOOD COUNCIL

 

April 25, 2007 Meeting Minutes

 

 

The meeting of the Wilmington Neighborhood Council (WNC) was called to order by Chair Jack Babbitt at 6:04 PM at the Wilmington Senior Center, 1371 Eubank Ave., Wilmington. Jack introduced self and gave brief statement: “As provided by the Brown Act, person in the audience may address the committee in connection with any agenda item or during the public comments period.  Anyone desiring to speak please complete a speaker card and submit it to the secretary.”  Translation to Spanish available.

1.                

Pledge of Allegiance led by Pat Wilson.

Jack explained that WNC board member Mike Sanborn would not be in because his father had p

Passed away.

Roll Call of Governing Board Members confirming a quorum. 17 present.

Approval of March minutes MSA Gary K/Dennis M 14 Yes, 4 Abstain, 0 No, Passed

 

2.               Public Comment

Los Angeles Police Department- Officers Zurick and Ana Pineda, and Watch Commander Lews gave report.  Q&A

Public comment for non agenda items from

A. - Raymond Yu gave general announcements

B-LAUSD-Roberta Jones Booker gave report and invited to next meeting.

C-Chris Ferragamo from Banning High school requesting funds for football team

D- Gary Sands on follow-up on request for Quiet Zone on Mcfarland Rail road.

E- Jacob Haik Council Office gave report.

F-ACTA – Connie Rivera gave report.

 

3.               Presentations

a.      Banning Village – Dick Pawlowski: Presentation on proposal for Wilmington improvements, Q&A from WNC, Community members including Ken Melendez who submitted list of questions.

b.     Race Way Park – Willie Robinson – Presentation on Raceway Park at fort, Q&A from WNC board members and community members.

c.      Warren E&P Update- Tom Dahlgren:  Presentation on where projects stands so far, landscaping, sound barriers, etc. Q&A from WNC members and from Community members. (Sandra Kaveney, Karen Velázquez, Brenda & Adolfo Cardenas, Gloria & Salvador Robledo, Jesus Torres, CBE, comments on what is wrong with project, noise, dust, etc.)

 

Break

 

4.               Action Items

a.      PCAC Items:  Tabled after discussion, PCAC reps to abstain.

b.     COPPS Board:  Jack asked for volunteer from WNC or from Community to be Wilmington rep on COPPS board.  Pat Rome volunteered to serve representing Wilmington.

c.      Banning funding request: Tabled until next month, need written request.

d.     BHS freshmen funding request: Tabled until Aug 07 because event is postponed.

e.      Reallocation of $37,400:  Motion by WNC Executive Board for WNC Governing Board that the $37,400 of unspent funds from prior years’ budgets be reallocated to the 2007-07 budget. Discussion, Vote, unanimous 17 Yes, 0 No, O abstain, Passed.

f.      WNC Trademark Registration: Motion from WNC executive board recommending to WNC governing board that the WNC file the necessary documentation and funding to register the WNC Logo as a protected trademark,  Discussion, Vote, 16 Yes, 2 No, 0 abstain. (Skip & Pat) Passed.

g.     POLA Mitigation Fund Projects:  Motion from WNC Executive Board for WNC to hold “Special Meeting” of the WNC Governing Board on May 9th, 2007 at 12:00 PM to consider support letters for all Wilmington Projects submitted for Mitigation funds. Discussion, Vote, 18 Yes, Unanimous, 0 No, 0 abstain, passed.

h.     Galaxy Wilmington Day:  WNC Executive Board recommends to the WNC Governing Board that the WNC support “Wilmington Day” at the Galaxy for $500 sponsorship level as a Community Outreach Project. Discussion, Vote, 17 Yes, 1 Abstain (Lucia) 0 No, Passed.

i.       Raceway Park: Jack explained that although this Item was not on the agenda, it had been discussed and approved as an action item at the executive board meeting, and had been left off by mistake; therefore he was recommending WNC vote on it as Mr. Robinson had already made several requests for support. MSA Dennis M/Lucy M, Not to support raceway unless list of conditions (attached) was met. Discussion, Vote, 17 Yes, 1 No (Lucia), 0 abstain, Motion Passed.

 

5.               Information Items

a.      Refreshments: Churches for May meeting.

b.     AD HOC committee on Mitigation: Gary gave report. Next meeting discussion earlier.

c.      Bi Monthly Community Clean Ups: July is Labor groups, Socorro, May Hank & Nell residents.

 

6.               Report from DONE:  Rosa Arcadia from DONE gave report

 

7.               Report of Officers: Jack gave report

Vice: no report

Secretary- Lucia reported on letter from Don Compton on funding for Neigh prosecutor.

Treasurer-no report  

8.               Reports by Standing Committees

a.      By Laws: Maricela gave report.

b.     Planning and Use: Skip & Lucy gave report

c.      Public Works Committee: no meeting because of mitigation meeting.

d.     Transportation Committee: Donna gave report.

e.      Publicity and Communications Committee – Lucia presented written report. Web site is being updated and agendas are there now.

f.      PCAC Committee: Donna gave report  

9.               New Business-None

10.            Announcement from Governing Board Members

11.            Adjournment – Co-chair adjourned the meeting at 9:37 PM.

12.            Minutes taken by Lucia Moreno-Linares, Secretary 18 present

13.            Approved, Jack Babbitt, Co Chair