WILMINGTON NEIGHBORHOOD COUNCIL

 

October 24, 2007 Meeting Minutes

 

 

 

The meeting of the Wilmington Neighborhood Council (WNC) was called to order by Jack Babbitt, Co-Chair, at 6:02 PM at the Wilmington Senior Center, 1371 Eubank Ave., Wilmington. Jack introduced self and gave brief statement: “As provided by the Brown Act, person in the audience may address the committee in connection with any agenda item or during the public comments period.  Anyone desiring to speak please complete a speaker card and submit it to the secretary.”  Secretary Lucia M explained that translation to Spanish available. Jack explained the various forms available in back. Dennis M explained procedures for speaking during meeting

 

1.          Roll Call of Governing Board Members  (Present: Jack Babbitt, Skip Baldwin, Angie Colclasure, Socorro Fimbres, Adelaida Godinez, Donna Ethington, Arthur Hernandez, Dennis McCarbery, Ana Medina, Lucia Moreno-Linares, Hank Osterhaoudt, Marcus Perez, Michael Sanborn, Patrick Wilson) (Excused: Cecilia  Moreno, Lucy Mejia, Helen  Mora,  Marisela Caraballo)  Quorum. (14 present)

             Pledge of Allegiance led by Pat Wilson

 

2.         Approval of September minutes MSA Hank O/Dennis M, 13 Yes, 1 Abstain, 0 No, Passed

 

3.         Los Angeles Police Department- Officers Ron Johnson, SLO, gave report.  (310) 869-2173 to call him with graffiti problems.  Traffic problems: 213 485-7336.  Officer Morris of POLA gave report, Q&A

 

4.         Public Comment:

 

·       Dr. Roberta Jones Booker with LAUSD announcing next 2 meetings for CPAN School.

·       Don Compton, Resident

·       Mary Gant, resident with WCO to thank WNC for support of 9-29 event. Youth will be designing a mural.

·       Sean Kane with SWIFT transportation on truck traffic on residential streets.

·       Joann Wysocki on LAUSD meeting

 

5.         Government Rep. Reports:  Jacob Haik for city council district 15th gave report. Q&A

 

6.         Alameda Corridor Transportation Authority – Dan Davis & Connie Rivera gave report.             Q&A.

 

7.         COPPS Report: Community Outreach Promoting Safety & Security, WNC Rep. Pat             Rome gave report. Next meeting 10-25-07.

 

8.         Presentations:

·       Pier A West Project by Dan Ramsey, Sr. environmental engineer. POLB owns property being remediated. Not an expansion project. Q &A

·       Schuyler Heim Bridge /SR-47 Expressway Project by Dan Davis and Connie Rivera. Several options presented. WNC asked to recommend one.

 

9.         Action Items

A- Recommendation for approval from WNC Executive Board for WNC Governing Board to approve allocating $5000 for the purchase of equipment and supplies for Wilmington Family Health Center.  MSA Dennis M/Lucia Moreno-Linares  Discussion, Vote, 14 Yes, 0 Abstain, 0 No, Passed.

B-   Request for WNC recommendation on crosswalk design tabled. 13 Yes, 1 abs.

C-   Recommendation for Approval from WNC Executive Board for WNC Governing Board to approve spending at additional $121.78 for the production of magnetic bumper stickers,  MSA Art H/Hank O, Discussion, Vote, 13 Yes, 1 No, 0 Abstain, Passed.

D-   Motion for WNC board to approve sending letter of support for Alternative 2 on Schuyler Heim Bridge/SR-47 Expressway Project, MSA Donna Ethington/Skip Baldwin, discussion, Q&A, public comments, Vote, 8 Yes, 3 No, 3 Abstain, Passed.

E-    Recommendation for Approval from WNC Executive Board for WNC Governing Board to approve sending letter to non attending board members requiring attendance or be subject to replacement, MSA Dennis M/Lucia Moreno, Discussion, Vote, 14 Yes, Unanimous, Passed

F-   Recommendation for Approval from WNC Executive Board for WNC Governing Board to approve filing a Community Impact Statement in support of COLA City Council Item 03-1260 allowing DONE and the NC’s to accept gifts, MSA Skip B/Art H, discussion, community supports idea but not item 2 & 3 of the item, agreed to send CIP showing support for the motion but not for part 2 & 3, Vote, 12 Yes, 2 Abstain, 0 No, Passed.

G-  Recommendation for Approval from WNC Executive Board for WNC Governing Board to approve appointing Ad-Hoc committee to establish criteria for community and outreach contributions made by the WNC, MSA Pat W/Dennis M, Discussion, Vote, 14 Yes, Unanimous, Passed. Jack asked for volunteers to serve on committee: Jack Babbitt, Patrick Wilson, Dennis McCarbery, Socorro, Fimbres, Skip Baldwin, Lucia Moreno-Linares, and Michael Sanborn. Jack asked for volunteer to chair, Lucia Moreno-Linares appointed as chair.

 

10.       Information Items

·       Bi-monthly Community Cleanups – Socorro (labor) for Nov Art (residents for Jan

·       Refreshment schedule for 2007-08 meetings.  Tonight’s by Angie –Education, Next month (Nov) Bus & Ind.

·       Publicity & Communication working on electronic newsletter, Lucia gave update.  

·       Interim Control Ordinance- form council office to control residential property

·       WNC Focus and Direction: Jack announced that December meeting will only have 1 item on the agenda, all the time will be devoted to refocusing WNC.

·       WNC Meeting Schedule in November and December.  The November Executive Board meeting will be on November 7 and the WNC on November 14.  In December, the EB will meet December 5 and the WNC on December 12 (the sixth anniversary of the formation of the first NC in the City of Los Angeles).

 

11.       Report from D.O.N.E. - Rosa Arcadia reported

 

Break

 

12.       Reports of Officers

·       Chair – none

·       Co-chair – Excused absent

·       Secretary – no report.

·       Treasurer – Pat went over funs received and spent.

 

13.       Reports by Standing Committees

·       By-Laws Committee – Dennis M.  Reported no change.

·       Executive Board – meeting will be the second Wednesday of September at noon at the Wilmington Municipal Building at the WNC office.

·       Finance Committee – meeting is immediately following the Executive Board on        the second Wednesday.

·       Gateway & Beautification Committee – meets the first Tuesday monthly at noon at the WMB WNC office.

·       Land Use & Planning Committee – Skip B spoke about another monopole antennae being proposed.

·       Public Works Committee – Meets on the second Wednesday monthly. Benches have been paid for.

·       Publicity and Communications Committee – Lucia reminded WNC members that if they wanted article in newsletter, it had to be submitted by Oct 31 at latest.

·       Transportation Committee – Donna E gave written report. Next mtg 10-29

·       PCAC Representatives Report – no meeting

 

14        Unfinished Business – None.

 

15        New Business- None.

 

16        Reports from Caucus Groups

       Churches – Lucia gave written report.

       Publicity & Communication: Lucia gave written report.

 

17        Reports from Members-at-Large: None

 

18        Announcement from Board Members and community – None

 

19        Adjourn – 9:20 PM

 

      Minutes taken by Lucia Moreno-Linares, Secretary

 

      Approved by Jack Babbitt, Chair

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Wnc-minutes-10-24-07