October 24, 2007 Meeting Minutes
The meeting of the Wilmington Neighborhood Council (WNC) was
called to order by Jack Babbitt, Co-Chair, at at the
1. Roll Call of Governing Board Members (Present: Jack Babbitt, Skip Baldwin, Angie Colclasure, Socorro Fimbres, Adelaida Godinez, Donna Ethington, Arthur Hernandez, Dennis McCarbery, Ana Medina, Lucia Moreno-Linares, Hank Osterhaoudt, Marcus Perez, Michael Sanborn, Patrick Wilson) (Excused: Cecilia Moreno, Lucy Mejia, Helen Mora, Marisela Caraballo) Quorum. (14 present)
Pledge of Allegiance led by Pat Wilson
2. Approval of September minutes MSA Hank O/Dennis M, 13 Yes, 1 Abstain, 0 No, Passed
4. Public Comment:
· Dr. Roberta Jones Booker with LAUSD announcing next 2 meetings for CPAN School.
· Don Compton, Resident
· Mary Gant, resident with WCO to thank WNC for support of 9-29 event. Youth will be designing a mural.
· Sean Kane with SWIFT transportation on truck traffic on residential streets.
· Joann Wysocki on LAUSD meeting
5. Government Rep. Reports: Jacob Haik for city council district 15th gave report. Q&A
6. Alameda Corridor Transportation Authority Dan Davis & Connie Rivera gave report. Q&A.
Report: Community Outreach Promoting Safety & Security, WNC Rep.
· Pier A West Project by Dan Ramsey, Sr. environmental engineer. POLB owns property being remediated. Not an expansion project. Q &A
9. Action Items
A- Recommendation for approval from WNC Executive Board for WNC Governing
Board to approve allocating $5000 for the purchase of equipment and supplies
B- Request for WNC recommendation on crosswalk design tabled. 13 Yes, 1 abs.
C- Recommendation for Approval from WNC Executive Board for WNC Governing Board to approve spending at additional $121.78 for the production of magnetic bumper stickers, MSA Art H/Hank O, Discussion, Vote, 13 Yes, 1 No, 0 Abstain, Passed.
D- Motion for WNC board to approve sending letter of support for Alternative 2 on Schuyler Heim Bridge/SR-47 Expressway Project, MSA Donna Ethington/Skip Baldwin, discussion, Q&A, public comments, Vote, 8 Yes, 3 No, 3 Abstain, Passed.
E- Recommendation for Approval from WNC Executive Board for WNC Governing Board to approve sending letter to non attending board members requiring attendance or be subject to replacement, MSA Dennis M/Lucia Moreno, Discussion, Vote, 14 Yes, Unanimous, Passed
F- Recommendation for Approval from WNC Executive Board for WNC Governing Board to approve filing a Community Impact Statement in support of COLA City Council Item 03-1260 allowing DONE and the NCs to accept gifts, MSA Skip B/Art H, discussion, community supports idea but not item 2 & 3 of the item, agreed to send CIP showing support for the motion but not for part 2 & 3, Vote, 12 Yes, 2 Abstain, 0 No, Passed.
G- Recommendation for Approval from WNC Executive Board for WNC Governing Board to approve appointing Ad-Hoc committee to establish criteria for community and outreach contributions made by the WNC, MSA Pat W/Dennis M, Discussion, Vote, 14 Yes, Unanimous, Passed. Jack asked for volunteers to serve on committee: Jack Babbitt, Patrick Wilson, Dennis McCarbery, Socorro, Fimbres, Skip Baldwin, Lucia Moreno-Linares, and Michael Sanborn. Jack asked for volunteer to chair, Lucia Moreno-Linares appointed as chair.
10. Information Items
· Bi-monthly Community Cleanups Socorro (labor) for Nov Art (residents for Jan
· Refreshment schedule for 2007-08 meetings. Tonights by Angie Education, Next month (Nov) Bus & Ind.
· Publicity & Communication working on electronic newsletter, Lucia gave update.
· Interim Control Ordinance- form council office to control residential property
· WNC Focus and Direction: Jack announced that December meeting will only have 1 item on the agenda, all the time will be devoted to refocusing WNC.
· WNC Meeting Schedule in November and December. The November Executive Board meeting will be on November 7 and the WNC on November 14. In December, the EB will meet December 5 and the WNC on December 12 (the sixth anniversary of the formation of the first NC in the City of Los Angeles).
11. Report from D.O.N.E. - Rosa Arcadia reported
12. Reports of Officers
· Chair none
· Co-chair Excused absent
· Secretary no report.
· Treasurer Pat went over funs received and spent.
13. Reports by Standing Committees
· By-Laws Committee Dennis M. Reported no change.
Executive Board meeting will be the second
Wednesday of September at
· Finance Committee meeting is immediately following the Executive Board on the second Wednesday.
· Gateway & Beautification Committee meets the first Tuesday monthly at at the WMB WNC office.
· Land Use & Planning Committee Skip B spoke about another monopole antennae being proposed.
· Public Works Committee Meets on the second Wednesday monthly. Benches have been paid for.
· Publicity and Communications Committee Lucia reminded WNC members that if they wanted article in newsletter, it had to be submitted by Oct 31 at latest.
· Transportation Committee Donna E gave written report. Next mtg 10-29
· PCAC Representatives Report no meeting
14 Unfinished Business None.
15 New Business- None.
16 Reports from Caucus Groups
Churches Lucia gave written report.
Publicity & Communication: Lucia gave written report.
17 Reports from Members-at-Large: None
18 Announcement from Board Members and community None
19 Adjourn 9:20 PM
Minutes taken by Lucia Moreno-Linares, Secretary
Approved by Jack Babbitt, Chair