WILMINGTON NEIGHBORHOOD COUNCIL

January 24, 2007 Meeting Minutes

 

The meeting of the Wilmington Neighborhood Council (WNC) was called to order by Chair Jack Babbitt at 6:07 PM at the Wilmington Senior Center, 1371 Eubank Ave., Wilmington. Jack introduced self and gave brief statement: “As provided by the Brown Act, person in the audience may address the committee in connection with any agenda item or during the public comments period.  Anyone desiring to speak please complete a speaker card and submit it to the secretary.”  Translation to Spanish available.

 

1.                Pledge of Allegiance led by Pat Wilson.

Roll Call of Governing Board Members confirming a quorum.

Approval of December minutes MSA Gary K/Dennis M 11 Yes, 3 Abstain, Passed

 

2.                Public Comment

Los Angeles Police Department- Senior Lead Officer Ron Johnson, William McDonald, Q&A

Public comment for non agenda items from

A.-Don Compton

B-Willie Robinson on Raceway near Harbor

C-Ricardo Hong from the Mayor's office gave report and announced meeting on educational reform

D-Jacob Haik Council Office gave report.

F-ACTA – Dan Davis gave report.

 

3.                Presentations

a.    Wilmington Aesthetics Mitigation Projects:  – Presentation by Teresa Scognamillo from POLA on funds available for mitigation and the process to apply. Q&A

b.    Watt Communities Update: Not here

c.     San Bernardino Railroad Historical Society:  Wolff Engler gave presentation on their proposal for a museum on waterfront. Q&A

 

4.                Action Items

a.    PCAC Item H1: Motion by WNC Executive Board for WNC Governing Board that the PCAC item for February regarding the Coalition for Clean  and Safe Ports be tabled pending a presentation in February, and request PCAC to table until the WNC reviews all the information. MSA Dennis/Skip, discussion, Vote, 15 Yes, 0 no, 2 Abstain, (Maricela & Cecilia) Passed. WNC PCA representatives to vote to table motion at pcac.

b.    PCAC Item H2: Motion from WNC executive board recommending to WNC governing board that PCAC Item H2 regarding Health Risk assessment be tabled pending clarification from PCAC as to the definition of Non-Cancer Risks and further; that PCAC table any action on this item until the WNC receives such clarification and has adequate time to render an opinion. MSA Dennis/Skip, Discussion, Vote, 15 Yes, 0 No, 2 abstain. (Cecilia & Maricela) Passed. WNC PCAC representative to vote to table motion at PCAC.

c.     PCAC Item H3: Motion from PCAC recommends to the Board of harbor Commissioners that the PCAC be given the opportunity to review the Fawcett Report and respond with its own recommendations that area voted on by the PCAC committee-whole and that the Harbor Commission not approve any PCAC restructuring action until the PCAC has had an opportunity to report its findings to the Harbor Commission,  (amended by WNC) by March 15, 2007, Discussion, Vote, 14 Yes, 0 No, 3 Abstain (Cecilia, Maricela, Skip), Passed , our PCA reps.  Support motion if amendment of time is accepted, if not, abstain from vote.

d.    PCAC Item H4: Motion from WNC recommending a no vote by the WNC governing board on PCAC Item H4 as the impacts to global warming by individual projects is unquantifiable. MSA Dennis/Skip, Discussion, Vote, 14 Yes, 0 No, 4 Abstain (Cecilia, Maricela, Donald, Arthur). Passed, PCAC reps to vote no at PCAC meeting.

e.    Conoco Phillips: request for support for Wet Gas Scrubber Project, MSA Arthur/Lucy, discussion, Vote, Unanimous Yes, Jack will write letter in support.

f.      Watt Communities-tabled, not here.

g.    Wilmington Aesthetic Mitigation Projects: The WNC Executive Board recommends to the WNC Governing Board that a letter be sent to the Port of Los Angles requesting an extension to the February 16th deadline be granted for submittal of projects for consideration. MSA Dennis/Skip, Discussion, Vote, 15 Yes, 0 No, 2 Abstain (Cecilia & Maricela) Passed.

 

5.                Information Items

a.    Website Management: Lucia gave report. Agenda’s will be posted on Chamber website until ours is running. .

b.    912 commissions: Jack gave report.

c.     Election update: Maricela reported,

d.    Budget Day Jan. 27th, Cecilia and Dennis will represent WNC.

e.    Refreshments Schedule: Jan-Bus & Ind, Feb.-educ. Mar.-Residents, Apr.-Seniors, May-Churches, June-Labor.

 

6.                Report from DONE:  Rosa Arcadia from DONE gave report

 

7.                Break

 

8.                Report of Officers: Jack gave report

Vice: no report

Secretary-no report

Treasurer-no report expect that you can go to DONE web site and see report there.

 

9.                Reports by Standing Committees

a.    By Laws: already gave report

b.    Land Use: Skip & Lucy gave report, Motion: The Land use and planning committee recommend to the WNC governing board that a letter by sent to the 15th council district requesting a review of the Wilmington Community plan. MSA Dennis/Lucy, Discussion, Vote, 17 Yes, 0 no, Passed.

c.     Public Works Committee: bi monthly community clean up March 10th, Churches, May residents.

d.    Transportation Committee: Donna gave report. Motion: The traffic Committee recommends to the WNC governing Board that follow up letters be sent to Council District 15 and LA city Planning Department Community Planner David Olivio requesting responses to letters dated October 27th, 2006 and November 21, 2006, respectively. MSA Donna/Skip, discussion, Vote, 16 Yes, 0 No, 0 abstain, passed.

e.    Publicity and Communications Committee – Lucia presented written report.

f.      PCAC Committee: Gary reported that our PCAC rep, Lucy Mejia had not voted as instructed by WNC. MSA Art/Gary that Lucy Mejia be removed as rep of WNC PCAC and that Tony Ringor, alternate, be the new WNC rep. to PCAC. Discussion, Vote, 5 No, 6 Yes, 3 Abstain, Passed. New PCAC rep is Tony Ringor. Jack will sent letter to Harbor Commission to notify them of the change.

 

10.           New Business: Motion: MSA Gary/Dennis for WNC to form ad hoc committee to work on proposal for mitigation funds. Jack appointed Gary Kern chair of ad hoc committee.

 

11.           Lucia reported on COPPS meeting. Mike Sanborn reported on Fence for park.

 

12.           Announcement from Governing Board Members

 

13.           Adjournment – Co-chair adjourned the meeting at 9:45 PM.

 

Minutes taken by Lucia Moreno-Linares, Secretary 17 present

Approved, Jack Babbitt, Co Chair