Wilmington Neighborhood Council

1-26-2005 Meeting Minutes

Wilmington Senior Citizen Center, Wilmington, Ca

 

6:05 P.M. Meeting called to order by Toni O’Donnell, Chair.

Toni introduced self and gave brief statement: “As provided by the Brown Act, person in the audience may address the committee in connection with any agenda item or during the public comments period.  Anyone desiring to speak please complete a speaker card and submit it to the secretary.”  Translation to Spanish Available

 

1-Pledge of Allegiance, Roll call of members, 20 present, quorum  

2- ACTA –Dan Davies-report, Q&A

3-Public Comment on Non-Agenda items

·        Don Compton, Dick Fleming on opposing LNG facility, Mike Signorelli from Wilm. Rec. Center, Art Hernandez, Victor Urquiza,

·        Ken Melendez-BID (Business Improvement District) gave report

 

4- Approval of Minutes for December

 

5-Presentations:

·        St Mary Foundation-Sister Ena & Dr. El Sayed gave report on plans for building

·        Central San Pedro-Sue Castillo-report on Committee on Port Safety and Security, asked for 2 members from WNC

 

6-Action Items: Extensive discussion before voting and clarifying that WNC was voting on these possible motions that PCAC committees might be bringing to PCAC because we have 2 representatives from WNC and they have to vote in the manner that WNC instructs.  The 2 WNC reps need to know how to vote in the name of WNC.  Other WNC board members who also sit on PCAC will vote as they choose, according to who they represent on PCAC, which may or may not be the same way as WNC would vote.  These motions being discussed are not motions of the WNC, but WNC is giving input on how they stand on these motions.

  • On the motion listed under #1 from Port community Advisory Committee on PCAC input for selection of new Executive Director for LA Port, vote, 11 yes, 9 no, 1 abstain, WNC reps to vote Yes
  • On the motion listed under #2 from PCAC on PCAC input for hiring consultants & Strategic plan, vote, 16 yes, 5 no, WNC reps to vote Yes.
  • On motion listed under #3 from PCAC Wilmington Waterfront Development Subcommittee recommends to PCAC that PCAC recommend to Board of Harbor Commissioners that the Port  develop and implement a comprehensive transportation plan for Wilmington whereby the existing McFarland rail line is eliminated, the BNSF Watson Yard either relocated or reconfigured so that it does not extend south of Pacific Coast Highway and that Port truck and rail traffic is directed north along the Alameda Corridor and other designated routes that do not cross Wilmington residential and commercial districts.  The Wilmington Waterfront Development Subcommittee further recommends strict enforcement of the plan with substantial penalties for violations. Vote, further discussion, Business and Industry reps, 3 on WNC board, explain why opposed, Q&A, public comments in support, call for question, vote, 11 yes, 7 no, 3 abstain, passed, WNC reps to vote Yes.
  • On motion listed under #4 from PCAC for Port to provide continued funding for beautification, discussion, vote, 20 yes, 1 no, passed, WNC reps to vote Yes.

 

Break

 

7-Report of officers

Chair:  Toni O’ handed out information on DONE elections procedures, including timeline.

Election committee needs to be appointed. Dennis nominated Maricela, last year’s chair, for this year again, Laura nominated Skip, vote held, Maricela Caraballo will chair, other committee members are Gary Kern, Skip Baldwin, Cecilia Moreno, Trish Salas, and Dennis McCarbery.  Gary reminded all 21 WNC board members present to please review bylaws and start the process at their individual organizations that they represent to choose candidates for board.

Toni also reminded all that 2 televised mayoral debates will take place and we can send reps.

Co-Chair: no report

Secretary- Lucia Moreno-Linares –read Correspondence

Treasurer- Patrick Wilson gave finance report, balance $-223.29 We are still waiting for DONE funding and response on our audit that was turned in 9-04. Q&A with Mark Lewis from DONE.

 

8-Report of Standing Committees:

Beautification Committee:  Jack B reported that after meeting with Councilwoman Hahn she supports the project.

 

PCAC:  Donna gave floor to Ken Melendez who gave report on timeline of Wilmington project and on request to DOT to replace missing signs in Wilmington, asks for WNC to send letter to DOT asking for same thing.

 

Finance:  Patrick handed out proposed budget for 3rd quarter.

 

Transportation: Donna E announced next meeting

 

Ad Hoc Committee:  Jack Babbitt reported on meeting held regarding complaint of Non-Profit Recreational representative.  Next meeting will have a representative from DONE to observe.

 

Seniors: Gary Kern announced meeting to be held by Department of Aging.

 

Labor: Eddie Greenwood gave report

 

9-Elected official’s communications

  • Jacob Haik from Council office gave various report, Q&A

 

10-Unfinished& New Business

 

Announcements

Mtg closed 9:12 21 Council members present

Minutes prepared by Lucia Moreno-Linares, Council Secretary

_________________________________

Approved by Toni O’Donnell, Chair