MINUTES of The Wilmington Neighborhood Council
December 11, 2002
6:05 P.M. Meeting called to order by Toni O’Donnell.
Gary Kern led pledge of allegiance.
Toni O. introduced self and gave brief statement: “As provided by the
Brown Act, person in the audience may address the committee in connection
with any agenda item or during the public comments period. Anyone desiring
to speak please complete a speaker card and submit it to the secretary.”
1 - Roll call of Members
12 present at call, excused Cecilia Moreno, Patrick Wilson. (Attendance
Agenda presented and accepted.
Toni welcomed everyone to our first anniversary meeting.
2 - Public Comments given on Items not on agenda.
LA Police Dept. community update by Officer Mathias & Officer Cassey,
3 - Minutes from Nov. 2002 meeting
Read and approved MSA Dennis McCarbery/Gary K
4 - Report of Officers
Chair - Toni O gave report and commented on accomplishments on the
1 year anniversary and reiterated purpose of WNC.
Vice Chair - Gary K thanked everyone for their cooperation.
Secretary’s Report - Lucia Moreno reported on correspondence received.
Treasurer’s Report - Toni reported in Patrick’s absence that account
has been opened and Council office donation has been deposited.
5 - Presentations of Elected officials and representatives of city
- Veronica Zendejas from Assembly member Jenny Oropeza presented certificate
- Donny Brooks from Mayor’s office reported on NEAT (neighborhood
empowerment action team), q&a period followed, including information
on TNI (Targeted Neighborhood Initiative) for East Wilmington, contract
almost signed for Frank O’Brien to continue his work on locating park
- Evelyn Fierro, Congresswoman Jane Harman’s office, presented certificate
to WNC and announced opening of field office in Wilmington in Jan 03
- Mark Lewis, DONE (department of neighborhood empowerment) representative
- Councilwoman Janice Hahn presented certificate to WNC and gave report
- Sergio Carrillo, Council office and Elise Swanson gave report on
East Wilmington Gym and explained why it has been held up (new site
- Reginald Zachary our past DONE rep, gave remarks
- Pat Herrera-Duran, DONE commissioner, gave remarks
- Paul M. Escala, chief of staff for Mike Lansing on LAUSD board reported
on new elementary school for Wilmington, Q&A
- Teamwork LA-10 point plan from Mayor’s office, Harbor Area mtg.
Jan 2nd, WNC needs to send rep, Toni can go.
- Presentation by LA City Dept of Housing, Mike Gregson, NEAT task
force, Q & A followed
- Greg Nelson, DONE director, general comments, funding coming
PCAC report: Toni O’ reported on PCAC mtg attended
- Donna Ethington gave her report, Wilmington Subcommittee: 90 days
hold for more study/info
Land Use/Planning report: Gary K monopole recommendation to Councilwoman
Hahn who was in audience.
Finance Report: Toni O’ reported for Patrick on responses to Budget
Priority Survey. MSA: Dennis M/Lena M to approve WNC report and forward
it to DONE and Mayors office, discussion, vote, unanimous
Public Works: Lucia M reported that Public Works rep. came and explained
how to read needs assessment report for Wilmington. Next committee
will be looking at how it can best be used to get things repaired Wilmington.
By Laws: Dennis M and Lena M finished touching up Seal for WNC. Copy
of seal to be sent by email to Lucia and to Toni O’. Used on cake!
ACTA (alameda corridor transportation authority) rep. Manny Hernandez
has not sent the Traffic Plan Report for Wilmington that he was going
to send. Councilwoman Hahn said she would bring it up at tomorrows ACTA
Cathy Fleming - Harbor FWY/PCH-sign is misspelled-Council office will
call Cal Trans
Ron Nation - Contractor at Las Flores/Mcfarland development
Meeting closed 7:35 pm
Minutes prepared by Lucia Moreno-Linares, Council Secretary
Approved by Toni O’Donnell, Chair
Return to MINUTES page to select another
As always, the Neighborhood Council Members encourage you to attend
local meetings and participate in the decisions
that affect our community.