Wilmington Neighborhood Council www.WilmingtonNC.org
Wilmington Neighborhood Council Agenda Our Board Minutes Committees Events Contacts HCNC
HCNC HCNC
Inside (below) or HOME


MEETING MINUTES
of the Wilmington Neighborhood
Council:

September 25, 2002

OR
> Select Another Date

See a MAP of our Neighborhood Boundary

Read our AGENDA

Read our BYLAWS

Send us an E-mail

MINUTES of The Wilmington Neighborhood Council
Governing Board
September 25, 2002

6:10 P.M. Meeting called to order by Toni O’Donnell.

Patrick Wilson  led pledge of allegiance.

Toni O. introduced self and gave brief statement: “As provided by the Brown Act, person in the audience may address the committee in connection with any agenda item or during the public comments period.  Anyone desiring to speak please complete a speaker card and submit it to the secretary.” 

Roll call of members:
10 present, excused Lenna McCarbery, Sonia Huizar, and Jack Babbitt, quorum confirmed. (Attendance sheet attached).

Agenda presented and accepted.

Toni thanked Will Hall Park staff for hosting meeting. Introduced Rosana for translation to Spanish.

1-Public Comments given on Items not on agenda.

Cathy Flemming, Dick Fleming

Minutes from Aug. 2002 meeting read & approved MSA Gary Kern/Joe Infante

2-Presentations of elected officials and representatives of city departments

A- Liz Greenwood-City Attorney’s office and Ron Johnson & officer Sammy from Sr. lead office of LAPD, presentation on gang injunction program

MSA: Dennis McCarbery/Tony Ringor to write letter of support of gang injunction program to judge Margaret Hay, case #NC030080, people vs. E Wilmington et all, discussion, vote: 14 ayes, 0 No’s, 0 abs.

B-Other elected officials

LAHWEDC-TNI report-no one present to speak.  MSA Gary K/Joe I to write letter to Mayor Hahn and councilwoman Hahn asking for update on East Wilmington TNI program, since the last 2 meetings have been cancelled, also to clarify meeting location and time.  Discussion, vote: 14 ayes, 0 no’s, 0 abs

C-.DONE communication-Toni O reported, MSA:Cecilia Moreno/Ray Madrigal, write letter to Councilwoman Hahn, Mayor Hah, asking that their representatives and representative from DONE and other city offices be present during WNC meetings to answer questions, discussion, amended: all elected officials, different branches & city attorney’s office staff too, accepted, discussion, vote, 14 Ayes, 0 no’s, 0 abs.

3-presentation from community organizations:

A-.Bond Measure K-no one present-tabled.

B-Ken Trevett, CEO Harbor UCLA Research and Education Institute-presentation on cuts at Harbor UCLA hospital, request for support to keep hospital and REI open.

MSA Dennis M/Ray M that WNC send letter in support of keeping hospital &REI open, discussion, vote: 12 Ayes, 1 abs, 1 no

All present asked to send in postcards as well.

4-Officers Reports-

Chair-Toni O reported on city budget day Oct 5th, city is asking for WNC recommendations on budget items, lengthy discussion on budget process and lack of due notice, how can WNC members make recommendations if enough time was not given to consult with the individual groups to get their response, discussion on participation or not and consequences, conclusion, WNC will send letter with our representatives going to budget day (Patrick Wilson and Cecilia Moreno) expressing WNC position that not enough time was given to prioritize budget items, but that after meetings with groups, recommendations will be sent. Gary K will draft letter and give it to Lucia who will finalize it and give it to Cecilia or Patrick. Copies of letter will be sent to Councilwoman Hahn’s office and to DONE office.

Toni continues with her report on correspondence and other meetings that WNC might be interested in attending.  WNC has received copy of MOU from city for ACTA.

Proposal for how items get on WNC agenda presented and accepted.  Attached.

Vice-Chair- no report Gary K.

Secretary’s Report- none

Treasurer’s report- Patrick W. reported “no report” because we don’t have any funds yet.

5 - Committee Reports

Land Use/Planning report:

1-     Presentation by Delta Groups Engineering/ATT Wireless-placement of cellular antenna and landscaping. Discussion, referred to Land Use Committee

2-     Street tree subcommittee-Skip Baldwin gave report

3-     Report that HAPC denied conditional use permit to Connie’s Bar on Avalon Blvd.

4-     Report that insufficient notice was given to discuss 1655 E Anaheim store/off site liquor, and 1402 E PCH-Diesel truck sales

5-     Report that HAPC hearing on Mcfarland/Banning estates zoning/variance hearing was continued to Tues Nov 5th.  Developer will contact either Lucia or Land Use Committee to bring his new proposal for less density so that WNC can state its position at next hearing.

PCAC report: Toni O. reported on 3 mtg. that she attended.

Finance Report: Patrick W will attend city budget Day, discussed earlier.

Park advisory- Toni introduced John Popoch, director from Ken Malloy Regional Park, gave update on status of Harbor Regional Park and programs available.

Transportation: Donna Ethington reported that she is waiting for information she requested to make recommendation on where to place bus stop lights in Wilmington. Presented letter being sent to Highway Patrol in support of their efforts in Wilmington. Need to finalize letterhead paper for these letters to be uniform.

Public Works: item 1 on bus stop tabled,

1- Cecilia M reported on ACTA controlled property tour that was taken by committee.  It was felt by committee members that ACTA spokesperson was not forthcoming with answers to questions posed. Letter will be sent to all elected officials regarding ACTA and its lack of communication with Wilmington’s constituents and asking for elected official’s assistance.  Separate letter has already been sent to Councilwoman Hahn and Mayor Hahn.

2-Discussion of letter from Patrick Wilson to committee members regarding remarks make by Manny Hernandez of ACTA.

3-Public works report scheduled to be discussed at next committee meeting because public works personnel that could explain the report didn’t come.  Jack Babbitt sent letter to them to remind them to send a person.

By Laws: Dennis M passed out draft of bylaws with changes proposed.  Please read them and be prepared to discuss and vote at next meeting.

6 - Unfinished business:

A-unexcused absences being addressed in by-laws changes

B-Dec. Mtg. to be held on Dec. 11th, 2002, potluck to celebrate 1 yr. anniversary

C-Frank O’Brien on TNI-Targeted Neighborhood Improvement for East Wilmington-will let WNC and committee members know when next meeting will be held.

7 - New Business:

A-Stationary-Dennis M will work on it and we will decide next mtg.

B- MSA Skip B/Gary K to send Letter of appreciation for Port Police Office Jaime Navarro, discussion, vote, Unanimous, Donna E will draft letter.

Agenda Items

None submitted

Public comments

None

Announcements

Meeting closed 9:19 pm

Minutes prepared by Lucia Moreno-Linares, Council Secretary

_________________________________

Approved by Toni O’Donnell, Chair

Return to MINUTES page to select another date.

As always, the Neighborhood Council Members encourage you to attend local meetings and participate in the decisions that affect our community.

 

 

www.WilmingtonNeighborhoodCouncil.org > home | agenda | board | minutes | committees | events | contacts
site designed and maintained by Links L.A. Web Design, San Pedro, CA

 

Home Page