Wilmington Neighborhood Council www.WilmingtonNC.org
Wilmington Neighborhood Council Agenda Our Board Minutes Committees Events Contacts HCNC
HCNC HCNC
Inside (below) or HOME


MEETING MINUTES
of the Wilmington Neighborhood
Council:

February 26, 2003

OR
> Select Another Date

See a MAP of our Neighborhood Boundary

Read our AGENDA

Read our BYLAWS

Send us an E-mail

MINUTES of The Wilmington Neighborhood Council
Governing Board
February 26, 2003

6:07 P.M. Meeting called to order by Toni O’Donnell.

Patrick Wilson led pledge of allegiance.

Toni O. introduced self and gave brief statement: “As provided by the Brown Act, person in the audience may address the committee in connection with any agenda item or during the public comments period.  Anyone desiring to speak please complete a speaker card and submit it to the secretary.” 

1 - Roll call of Members
11 present at call, excused Dan Hoffman, Connie Calderon, Trish Salas (Attendance sheet attached).

Agenda presented and accepted.

LA Police Dept. community update by Officer Mathias, and Officer Johnson, Q&A

3 - Minutes from Jan. 2003 read and approved MSA Dennis McCarbery/Joe Infante

2 - Public Comments given on Items not on agenda.

Eddie Greenwood, Art Hernandez

Report of Officers

Chair - Toni O recognized Mark Ellis from USC Neighborhood Project who gave presentation on survey on N councils.

Vice-Chair - MSA Gary Kern/Dennis M for WNC to support the LA Neighborhood Housing Services Wilmington Neighborhood Pride Day in June 2003, discussion, unanimous yes.

Toni will notify John Lambert on motion.

Secretary’s Report - Lucia Moreno-Linares reported on correspondence received. (3)

Treasurer’s report - Patrick Wilson reported that account has balance of $902.29 after paying monthly bank fee. Bank Stmt available for anyone who wishes to see it, Q and A

5 - Presentations of Elected officials and representatives of city departments

Cecilia Moreno translated in Spanish for all speakers.

- Abby Zimmerman from Mayor Hahn’s office and Donny Brooks gave report on Teamwork LA and NEAT.

- Mike Gregerson from Housing Department gave report (213)367-9437 to report blighted homes give ph# & address.

- Mark Lewis, DONE (department of neighborhood empowerment) gave report and offered to have translator and equipment for next mtg.

- Sergio Carrillo from Councilwoman Hahn’s office gave report

- Justin Houterman from Neighborhood Prosecutor’s program, city attorney’s office, gave report (graffiti and dumping citations and rewards)

- ACTA-Manny Hernandez gave report and handouts & Q&A followed, stated that ACTA would repair city streets used for detour if damage was caused by truck traffic being deferred to city streets.

Break

Committee Reports

PCAC report:  Donna Ethington reported (John Lambert translated) on Waterfront Development Subcommittee, and Jesse Marquez also gave report. 

Land Use/Planning report:  Gary K gave report 3 items:

 1 - MSA Gary K/Tony Ringor for WNC to approve recommendation of Land/Use Planning committee to support Alberta’s Mexican Food restaurant, 1304 W PCH, Wilmington, application for Conditional Use Permit to allow sales and dispending of beer and wine only for onsite consumption in conjunction with an existing 3150 square foot restaurant with karaoke entertainment and an occupancy load of 120 patrons. Discussion, comments regarding safety and noise, conditions limiting hours of alcohol sale to like hours of other restaurants, review in 2 years, security concerns, vote, 9 yes, 1 no, 3 abstain, motion passes.

2 - MSA Gary K/Dennis M to approve recommendation of Land/Use Planning Committee regarding request for permit to reduce boundary at 1754 Wilmington Blvd, to recommend that WNC not support request, discussion, vote, passed unanimous

3 - 1220 “L” St. Request for variance, requesting support of WNC but item cannot be voted on because it was not on the agenda as a vote item.  Public comment was heard and the majority in the audience was in support of the item, and turned in speaker cards.  Mr. Soren Alexandria spoke on behalf of Mrs. Castaneda as she does not speak English. The neighbor to this address, Mrs. Manzo who owns market was in opposition to this location being granted request.  Public comment was given by her daughter & son.  Item will be voted on at next meeting by WNC.  Toni O’ will give Mrs. Castaneda a letter stating that WNC was unable to vote on this item at this time because of Brown Act rules regarding prior notice.

Finance Report: Patrick W reported, attached report, and presented proposed budget, MSA for WNC to adopt budget proposed by finance committee for 1st quarter and for submittal of budget and application for request of funds for first quarter of disbursement from DONE, discussion, vote, unanimous

Public Works:  Cecilia Moreno passed out forms to be used by WNC members to do need assessment survey of Wilmington and map showing which members are responsible for which areas. . All members are asked to bring completed forms to next meeting or to send them in by fax before the meeting.

Public Comments

Eddie Greenwood on crossing guards needed on PCH, Sergio Carrillo

By-Laws:   Dennis M passed out amendment proposed by by-laws committee, attached, to be voted on during March 03 meeting, and if passed, to become effective the following month. Recommendation is for a change in the WNC By laws regarding stakeholder committee representatives.  He also reminded everyone of the election time-line and need to form nomination committees and the need to review attendance record of all WNC members.

 Election Committee:  Toni O reported that WNC executive committee (Toni, Lucia, Gary, Patrick) will serve as election committee, reminding all stakeholder representatives to form nomination committees and to hold meeting to elect candidates for board.

Toni passed out form outlining election process and also Categories list for position on board. Toni reviewed the process and appointed chairs for nomination committees:

 Churches-Lucia, Residents-Skip, Seniors-Gary, Port LA-Dennis, Business-Patrick, Non-Profit-Ray, and Member at Large-Tony, Labor-Eddie Greenwood, Student-Gary, and Parks-Toni.

Toni brought up the recommendation to Delete Safety stakeholder and add another at-large; this will also be added to previous recommendation by By laws committee and voted on at next meeting.

Unfinished business:

1 - Car Dismantling- Donna E will mail her report to all WNC members (e-mail)

2 - D.O.T- no report

3 - BID report- Trees-Gary ports and Sergio Carrillo reports that request hasn’t been processed by city.

New Business:

Town Square Task Force-Sergio Carrillo and Justin H form Neighborhood Prosecutors office gave report on proposed actions to improve town square, including fence, shrubbery, furniture, toilets, etc.  Joe Infante, WNC’s representative on the task force requested that Item be brought to WNC to give all opportunity to voice concerns and help come up with best solution.

MSA Dennis/Joe to close Meeting at 10:05 pm

Minutes prepared by Lucia Moreno-Linares, Council Secretary

________________________________

Approved by Toni O’Donnell, Chair

Return to MINUTES page to select another date.

As always, the Neighborhood Council Members encourage you to attend local meetings and participate in the decisions that affect our community.

 

 

www.WilmingtonNeighborhoodCouncil.org > home | agenda | board | minutes | committees | events | contacts
site designed and maintained by Links L.A. Web Design, San Pedro, CA

 

Home Page