MINUTES of The Wilmington Neighborhood Council
February 25, 2004
6:10 P.M. Meeting called to order by Toni O’Donnell.
Toni O. introduced self and gave brief statement: “As provided by the
Brown Act, person in the audience may address the committee in connection
with any agenda item or during the public comments period. Anyone desiring
to speak please complete a speaker card and submit it to the secretary.”
1-Pledge of Allegiance, Roll call of members, 18 present,
Maricela Caraballo announced that DONE has approved our bylaws changes
and Dennis McCarbery is our official Parliamentarian.
2- Public Comment on Non-Agenda items
Donald Compton, Dick Fleming, Arthur Hernandez
3- Approval of Minutes January, unanimous
- Mike Lansing, Director San Pedro Boys & Girls Club, on Wilmington
Boys & Girls club merger. Q&A.
- Amy Anderson, Mercy Housing and LA Community Design Center, on Dana
Strand Development, Q&A
- John Lambert, Los Angeles Neighborhood Housing Services Initiative,
on June Pride Day in Wilmington
- Raul Banuelos, Department of Water & Power, on rate increase,
5-Report of officers
Chair: Toni O’ gave report on progress of WNC member Ray Madrigal,
and on meeting she attended, including LAUSD mtg., promenade project
Co-Chair: Jack Babbitt-no report
Secretary- Lucia Moreno – Correspondence- 8 letters read
Treasurer- Patrick Wilson gave finance report, balance $1,145.16
- Donny Brooks, Mayors office, on NBG funding
- Sergio Carrillo-Council office-gave various reports, including Assemblywoman
Oropeza naming Cecilia Moreno as Woman of Year for Dist.55
- Chad Molnar from Rep Jane Harman gave report
- ACTA-Dan Davis reported on landscape changes, Q&A
7-Report of Standing Committees:
Toni O’ presented actions items
- Gary Kern presented Motion for WNC to send letter to Councilwoman
Hahn asking her to write letter Chief of Police Bratton on the existence
of list of people who are not responded to by Police and if such a
list exists, how does a community member get removed from such list,
and specifically, to remove Mr. Donald Compton from such list, discussion,
Vote, passed unanimously.
- Position on DWP increase, MSA Eddie Greenwood, Lena McCarbery Motion
to not support rate increase, discussion, vote, 1 yes, and 4 no, 15
abstain, not passed.
- 5th executive board member, Dennis M is 5th board member, per amended
- Laura Chick –Liaison from WNC, Maricela Caraballo appointed as our
rep. by Chair Toni O
- Election discussion: reminder to all that stakeholder committees
should be having meetings to get nominees for next years board.
PCAC: Donna Ethington gave report
Land Use: Skip Baldwin gave report
Finance: Pat W gave report and presented
Transportation: Donna Ethington gave report
Public Works: Cecilia Moreno presented motion asking that WNC send
letter to Councilwoman Hahn asking that she request that a portion of
GAP funding be allocated to set up and maintain a collection center
in Wilmington for used tires, discussion, vote, 20, unanimous passed.
Cecilia also reported that all needs surveys collected had been turned
in to council office.
By Laws Committee: Maricela C reminded everyone of the need to put
together slate of candidates for next elections. And that Code of Civility,
which was given to all at prior meeting, will be voted on at March meeting
Gateway Beautification: Jack Babbitt made announcement that at last
meeting someone walked away with the artist’ rendering of the proposed
gateways, Please help by asking around and getting them returned to
WNC, as they cost us money and work to get..
Publicity Committee: next meeting Monday 16th at 6 pm
Education Committee: Bobby McNeil handed out video on funding request
Residents- Trish Salas announced CERT program beginning in Feb. &
Business Watch started by Lucia Moreno-Linares
Churches- Lucia Moreno-Linares reported that letters had been sent
to churches in area. Get representatives and to schedule mtg.
At Large-Skip Baldwin gave report
9-Unfinished & New Business none
Mtg closed 9:30.m. 20 Council members present
Minutes prepared by Lucia Moreno-Linares, Council Secretary
Approved by Toni O’Donnell, Chair