MINUTES of The Wilmington Neighborhood Council
January 28, 2004
6:10 P.M. Meeting called to order by Toni O’Donnell.
Toni O. introduced self and gave brief statement: “As provided by the
Brown Act, person in the audience may address the committee in connection
with any agenda item or during the public comments period. Anyone desiring
to speak please complete a speaker card and submit it to the secretary.”
1-Pledge of Allegiance, Roll call of members, 14 present,
2-LAPD SLO update & Public Comment on Non-Agenda
Donald Compton, John Popich from Ken Malloy Park, Bill Schwab, Tony
Garibay, Jose Rivera, Rudy Torres, Abelardo de la Pena, Raul Orozco
3- Approval of Minutes December, unanimous
- Marissa Trutanish from Port Of Los Angels on relocation of Crescent
Warehouse to East Wilmington from San Pedro, Q&A followed by Statement
read by Donna Ethington
5-Report of officers
Chair: Toni O’ asked for Communication chair to set date for meetings
so she can include it on flyer of other meetings. She also reported
on Alliance of N C’s mtg. on the budget process.
Co-Chair: Jack Babbitt-no report
Secretary- Lucia Moreno – Correspondence- 5 letters read
Treasurer- Patrick Wilson gave finance report, balance $1,657.16
- Sergio Carrillo-Council office-gave report on various items including
Matching grants and budget crisis
- Chad Molnar from Rep Jane Harman gave report
- John Driscoll from Neighborhood Prosecutors Office introduced himself
and gave report (310) 732-4515
- Mark Lewis-DONE-gave report Feb 7 open house, Empowerment academy,
conflict of interest
- ACTA-Lou Batiglia- Gave update on landscape, Q&A
7-Report of Standing Committees:
Toni O’ presented actions items
- Motion for WNC to send letter of support for grant request for additional
parkland adjacent to East Wilmington Community center, discussion, vote,
unanimous (16 yes), Passed
- Election of 5th Executive Board Member, tabled until DONE approves
bylaws, MSC Maricela/Skip
PCAC: Donna Ethington gave report and Toni O’ handed out China Shipping
funds request list
Land Use: Skip Baldwin presented
- Motion for WNC to support land use committee recommendation to uphold
Zoning Administrator’s decision to deny the zone variance on Case No
Za-2003-3206 GIS- discussion, public comments, more discussion, vote,
6 NO, 4 YES, 6 Abstain, Not Passed.
Finance: Pat W gave report and presented
- Motion to approve reconciliation report for 1st quarter of funding.
Discussion, vote, unanimous, Passed
Transportation: Donna Ethington gave report
Public Works: Co Chair Jack Babbitt presented
- Motion to send letter to Councilwoman Janice Hahn requesting variance
to increase the easement at the southwest corner of “I” St. and Avalon
Blvd. to fourteen (14’) to allow the installation of the Viacom automated
street toilet. Discussion, vote, 16 yes, unanimous, Passed
By Laws Committee: Maricela Caraballo reported DONE has bylaws package
and should be approved within 2 weeks.
Gateway Beautification: Jack Babbitt presented drawing of possible
gateway streetscapes prepared by artist.
Residents- Trish Salas announced CERT program beginning in Feb.
Churches- Lucia Moreno-Linares reported that letters had been sent
to churches in area. Get representatives and to schedule mtg.
At Large-Skip Baldwin gave report
9-Unfinished & New Business none
Donald Compton-item sent to executive board, Jesse Marquez, Art Hernandez,
Mtg closed 9:12 p.m. 17 Council members present
Minutes prepared by Lucia Moreno-Linares, Council Secretary
Approved by Toni O’Donnell, Chair